I’ve had some problems recently with deploying clients in my lab environment. The problem I was having was this:
1. Client boots up and receives boot image = fine
2. Client loads Windows PE = fine
3. Client restarts as soon as Windows PE loads = not fine
I started up the installation again and pressed F8 before the computer restarted and went to X:\Windows\Temp\SMSTSLOG\smsts.log and had a look.
In the log I found this error:
Unknown host (gethostbyname failed)
sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7
Failed to get information for MP: http://sccm.newtech.local . 80072ee7
I tried to ping my SCCM server called “sccm”. Worked perfectly. But then I tried to enter in the whole FQDN “ping sccm.newtech.local” and all of a sudden the name was not able to be resolved. Why was this happening? Tried to ping sccm.newtech.local from another server and it worked perfectly.
The reason for this is that SCCM OSD is reliant on DHCP and receives the DNS server that is specified in the DHCP scope.
This is how I solved it:
1. Go to the DHCP control panel -> DHCP Scope Options -> Right-click -> Configure Options
2. Select “006 DNS Servers” and then add the IP adress of the DNS server. If it’s on the local server, enter the IP (ie. 10.0.0.3) and not the loopback address (127.0.0.1).
This worked for me! Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you’re experiencing issues with this.
About the author
Daniel Classon works as a Senior Consultant at Mansoft, focusing on Microsoft Configuration Manager, Windows 10 and Powershell
- How to install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 958,809 views
- Issue with mounting new ISO files from TechNet in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Preview 63,517 views
- Solution to OSD issue 80072ee7 30,345 views
- Powershell: Script to set Outlook 2010/2013 signature using information populated from Active Directory 31,425 views
- Guide: How to get PXE boot to work in Hyper-V 104,600 views
- Guide: How to force specific sites to always run in Compatibility View using Group Policy 139,888 views
- How to change between a Full Installation (GUI) and Server Core in Windows Server 2012 63,613 views
- Guide: Solving WDS issue with DHCP port conflict 11,553 views
- Hyper-V: Issue when starting virtual machine from downloaded ISO file 7,280 views
- How to check status of Bitlocker encryption on a client 116,391 views