I’ve had some problems recently with deploying clients in my lab environment. The problem I was having was this:
1. Client boots up and receives boot image = fine
2. Client loads Windows PE = fine
3. Client restarts as soon as Windows PE loads = not fine
I started up the installation again and pressed F8 before the computer restarted and went to X:\Windows\Temp\SMSTSLOG\smsts.log and had a look.
In the log I found this error:
Unknown host (gethostbyname failed)
sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7
Failed to get information for MP: http://sccm.newtech.local . 80072ee7
I tried to ping my SCCM server called “sccm”. Worked perfectly. But then I tried to enter in the whole FQDN “ping sccm.newtech.local” and all of a sudden the name was not able to be resolved. Why was this happening? Tried to ping sccm.newtech.local from another server and it worked perfectly.
The reason for this is that SCCM OSD is reliant on DHCP and receives the DNS server that is specified in the DHCP scope.
This is how I solved it:
1. Go to the DHCP control panel -> DHCP Scope Options -> Right-click -> Configure Options
2. Select “006 DNS Servers” and then add the IP adress of the DNS server. If it’s on the local server, enter the IP (ie. 10.0.0.3) and not the loopback address (127.0.0.1).
This worked for me! Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you’re experiencing issues with this.
About the author
Daniel Classon works as a Senior Consultant at Mansoft, focusing on Microsoft Configuration Manager, Windows 10 and Powershell
- How to install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 938,283 views
- Issue with mounting new ISO files from TechNet in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Preview 62,699 views
- Solution to OSD issue 80072ee7 28,611 views
- Powershell: Script to set Outlook 2010/2013 signature using information populated from Active Directory 30,123 views
- Guide: How to get PXE boot to work in Hyper-V 99,075 views
- Guide: How to force specific sites to always run in Compatibility View using Group Policy 135,186 views
- How to change between a Full Installation (GUI) and Server Core in Windows Server 2012 62,949 views
- Hyper-V: Issue when starting virtual machine from downloaded ISO file 6,937 views
- Guide: Solving WDS issue with DHCP port conflict 10,547 views
- How to create a bootable Windows 8 USB using Diskpart 29,528 views