I’ve had some problems recently with deploying clients in my lab environment. The problem I was having was this:
- Client boots up and receives boot image = Fine
- Client loads Windows PE = Fine
- Client restarts as soon as Windows PE loads = NOT FINE
I started up the installation again and pressed F8 before the computer restarted and went to X:\Windows\Temp\SMSTSLOG\smsts.log and had a look.
In the log I found this error:
Unknown host (gethostbyname failed)
sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7
Failed to get information for MP: http://sccm.newtech.local . 80072ee7
I tried to ping my SCCM server called “sccm”. Worked perfectly. But then I tried to enter in the whole FQDN “ping sccm.newtech.local” and all of a sudden the name was not able to be resolved. Why was this happening? Tried to ping sccm.newtech.local from another server and it worked perfectly.
The reason for this is that SCCM OSD is reliant on DHCP and receives the DNS server that is specified in the DHCP scope.
This is how I solved it:
1. Go to the DHCP control panel -> DHCP Scope Options -> Right-click -> Configure Options
2. Select “006 DNS Servers” and then add the IP adress of the DNS server. If it’s on the local server, enter the IP (ie. 10.0.0.3) and not the loopback address (127.0.0.1).
This worked for me! Feel free to drop a comment!
- How To Install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 968,507 views
- Issue with mounting new ISO files from TechNet in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Preview 63,986 views
- Solve SCCM Error “sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7” in Windows PE 31,935 views
- Powershell: Script to set Outlook 2010/2013 signature using information populated from Active Directory 32,304 views
- How To Enable PXE in Hyper-V for Legacy Boot 109,458 views
- How to force specific sites to always run in Compatibility View using Group Policy 145,167 views
- How to change between a Full Installation (GUI) and Server Core in Windows Server 2012 64,345 views
- How To Solve WDS Issue with DHCP Port Conflict 12,350 views
- Hyper-V: Issue when starting virtual machine from downloaded ISO file 7,553 views
- How To Check Bitlocker Status using the Command Line 120,122 views
About the author
Daniel Classon works as a Senior Consultant at Mansoft, focusing on Microsoft Configuration Manager, Windows 10 and Powershell
What are Intel Modern Drivers for Graphics? https://t.co/h2d2GJOyJY #ConfigMgr
New blog post: How to deploy HP BIOS settings using SCCM and Powershell: https://t.co/JVKHBN86pN #sccm #configmgr #PowerShell
@miketerrill On topic of this, this might help with the initial clearing! https://t.co/2NnFlDU6lm @SCConfigMgr @modaly_it thank you for sharing
Friday #WaaS Tip: Record full Build Number Key during IPU. Helps support teams know which patch level was installed at time of upgrade to help correlate if any upgrade issues correspond to a specific patch level of the upgrade build. Blog Post Update coming soon (SetOSDinfo)3