Difference between Updating a Distribution Point and Refreshing a Distribution Point in SCCM 2007
Do you know what the difference between updating a distribution point and refreshing a distribution point is in SCCM 2007? It can be quite confusing, and when to use one over the other is not obvious.
Lets first talk about Updating a Distribution Point:
Here’s a scenario:
You have created a new package for an application in which you have changed some source files. For example, you have changed settings in a file, added additional files or maybe you have removed files. What it does is it will recreate the whole package with the updated source files and will update the old package with the new package on all distribution points. SCCM will increment the package source version by 1. So a package with source version 1 will become source version 2. When using this, keep in mind the changing of the source versions, as this might cause issues if you have different versions of the packages at your distribution points, causing content mismatch. Make sure that all your Distribution Points update to the new version.
What about Refreshing a package on a Distribution Point:
One of your applications is not working and you want to make sure that all the files are intact on your Distribution Point. In this case, you want to repair the package. Doing a refresh of the package will copy the package from the local site system to the Distribution Point, and not from the package source. Unlike doing an update of a package, refreshing will keep the previous source version.
I hope this information has been informative for you 🙂
About the author
Daniel Classon works as a Senior Consultant at Mansoft, focusing on Microsoft Configuration Manager, Windows 10 and Powershell
- How to install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 943,497 views
- Issue with mounting new ISO files from TechNet in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Preview 62,872 views
- Solution to OSD issue 80072ee7 28,871 views
- Powershell: Script to set Outlook 2010/2013 signature using information populated from Active Directory 30,388 views
- Guide: How to get PXE boot to work in Hyper-V 100,011 views
- Guide: How to force specific sites to always run in Compatibility View using Group Policy 136,079 views
- How to change between a Full Installation (GUI) and Server Core in Windows Server 2012 63,071 views
- Hyper-V: Issue when starting virtual machine from downloaded ISO file 6,989 views
- Guide: Solving WDS issue with DHCP port conflict 10,683 views
- How to create a bootable Windows 8 USB using Diskpart 29,637 views