Guide: How to force specific sites to always run in Compatibility View using Group Policy
If you have specific sites which do not work in newer versions of Internet Explorer, you can force them to always run in Compatibility View, meaning that they will run as if they were run in Internet Explorer 7. There are GPO settings to force specific IE Zones to always run in Compatibility View, but here’s how you set it for specific sites.
Open Group Policy Management
Create or edit the GPO that will be used to force the new setting.
To create a new GPO right-click the container Group Policy Objects and select New.
To edit an existing GPO, select it, right-click and press Edit.
Browse to User Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer -> Compatibility View and select the setting “Use Policy List of Internet Explorer 7 sites”
Enable the setting and then press show
Add the site that you want to force to run in Compatibility View, in this case http://www.contoso.com
The new policy should now work after the user has either logged off and logged in again or if the command gpupdate /force is entered in CMD.
About the author
Daniel Classon works as a Senior Consultant at Mansoft, focusing on Microsoft Configuration Manager, Windows 10 and Powershell
- How to install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 953,679 views
- Issue with mounting new ISO files from TechNet in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Preview 63,243 views
- Solution to OSD issue 80072ee7 29,701 views
- Powershell: Script to set Outlook 2010/2013 signature using information populated from Active Directory 31,059 views
- Guide: How to get PXE boot to work in Hyper-V 102,808 views
- Guide: How to force specific sites to always run in Compatibility View using Group Policy 138,281 views
- How to change between a Full Installation (GUI) and Server Core in Windows Server 2012 63,353 views
- Hyper-V: Issue when starting virtual machine from downloaded ISO file 7,170 views
- Guide: Solving WDS issue with DHCP port conflict 11,176 views
- How to check status of Bitlocker encryption on a client 114,950 views