How to create an MDT Task Sequence template
If you are working with MDT, you are most likely creating new task sequences every now and then. When doing this, you might either create a new task sequence from scratch or maybe you are copying another task sequence.
I have run in to numerous issues with copying task sequences in MDT, so what I do is that I create a template instead, that has all the basic steps that I want there.
Creating a template in MDT is very simple:
1. Create a task sequence that you will use as a template.
2. Browse to your deployment share and locate the Control folder.
3. In the Control folder there should be a subfolder with the name of the task sequence
4. In The subfolder, there should be a file called ts.xml, which is the task sequence
5. Copy the ts.xml and rename it to ts_template.xml or similar:
6. Go to the installation folder for MDT, typically C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and go to the folder called “Templates”.
7. Paste the ts_template.xml here:
8. Open up the ts_template.xml in notepad and edit the top row, with a suitable name and description for your task sequence template:
9. Open Deployment Workbench, and create a new Task Sequence:
10. Give your new Task Sequence a name:
11. Select your newly created Task Sequence template 🙂
About the author
Daniel Classon works as a Senior Consultant at Mansoft, focusing on Microsoft Configuration Manager, Windows 10 and Powershell
- How to install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 966,050 views
- Issue with mounting new ISO files from TechNet in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Preview 63,837 views
- 2 steps to solving SCCM deployment error “sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7” in Windows PE 31,550 views
- Powershell: Script to set Outlook 2010/2013 signature using information populated from Active Directory 32,098 views
- How to get PXE to work in Hyper-V for Legacy Boot 108,236 views
- How to force specific sites to always run in Compatibility View using Group Policy 143,821 views
- How to change between a Full Installation (GUI) and Server Core in Windows Server 2012 64,082 views
- How to solve WDS issue with DHCP port conflict 12,114 views
- Hyper-V: Issue when starting virtual machine from downloaded ISO file 7,471 views
- Command to check Bitlocker status in Windows 10 119,067 views