I noticed this issue at a customer where they were deploying machines and automatically configuring the machine name according to serial number.
There were no issues with deploying physical machines, but virtual machines were failing during the “Apply Windows Settings” step with the following error code:
Failed to open the Task Sequencing Environment. Code 0x80220005. Please ensure you are running this executable inside a properly configured OS
The reason why we see this issue is that virtual machines have longer serial numbers than 16 characters, which is the maximum amount of characters allowed for a machine name during OSD.
If you have a script that sets the serial number automatically, you will need to configure it to only take the first 16 characters of the serial number.
- How To Install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 968,507 views
- Issue with mounting new ISO files from TechNet in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Preview 63,986 views
- Solve SCCM Error “sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7” in Windows PE 31,935 views
- Powershell: Script to set Outlook 2010/2013 signature using information populated from Active Directory 32,304 views
- How To Enable PXE in Hyper-V for Legacy Boot 109,458 views
- How to force specific sites to always run in Compatibility View using Group Policy 145,167 views
- How to change between a Full Installation (GUI) and Server Core in Windows Server 2012 64,345 views
- How To Solve WDS Issue with DHCP Port Conflict 12,350 views
- Hyper-V: Issue when starting virtual machine from downloaded ISO file 7,553 views
- How To Check Bitlocker Status using the Command Line 120,122 views
About the author
Daniel Classon works as a Senior Consultant at Mansoft, focusing on Microsoft Configuration Manager, Windows 10 and Powershell
What are Intel Modern Drivers for Graphics? https://t.co/h2d2GJOyJY #ConfigMgr
New blog post: How to deploy HP BIOS settings using SCCM and Powershell: https://t.co/JVKHBN86pN #sccm #configmgr #PowerShell
@miketerrill On topic of this, this might help with the initial clearing! https://t.co/2NnFlDU6lm @SCConfigMgr @modaly_it thank you for sharing
Friday #WaaS Tip: Record full Build Number Key during IPU. Helps support teams know which patch level was installed at time of upgrade to help correlate if any upgrade issues correspond to a specific patch level of the upgrade build. Blog Post Update coming soon (SetOSDinfo)3