I noticed this issue at a customer where they were deploying machines and automatically configuring the machine name according to serial number.
There were no issues with deploying physical machines, but virtual machines were failing during the “Apply Windows Settings” step with the following error code:
Failed to open the Task Sequencing Environment. Code 0x80220005. Please ensure you are running this executable inside a properly configured OS
The reason why we see this issue is that virtual machines have longer serial numbers than 16 characters, which is the maximum amount of characters allowed for a machine name during OSD.
If you have a script that sets the serial number automatically, you will need to configure it to only take the first 16 characters of the serial number.
- How To Install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2012-2016 and Windows 10 971,573 views
- Issue with mounting new ISO files from TechNet in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Preview 64,140 views
- Solve SCCM Error “sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7” in Windows PE 32,466 views
- How To Enable PXE on Gen2 Hyper-V VMs for Legacy Boot 110,907 views
- Force Specific Sites to Always Run in Compatibility Mode Using GPO 146,238 views
- How to change between a Full Installation (GUI) and Server Core in Windows Server 2012 64,562 views
- Issue With DHCP and WDS on the Same Server 12,578 views
- Issue Starting Virtual Machine from ISO in Hyper-V 7,677 views
- BitLocker Status Check Using Powershell or the Command Line 121,272 views
- Use Diskpart to Create a Bootable Windows 10 USB 30,592 views
About the author
Daniel Classon works as a Senior Consultant at Mansoft, focusing on Microsoft Configuration Manager, Windows 10 and Powershell
OMG, how did I not know this?!?! https://t.co/EjKcxI9nkB
Are you working with Enterprise Mobility + Security? One stop shop for all the documentation right here. Bookmark now! :-) https://t.co/bf3C1fhoQk #sccm #configmgr #msintune #azuread #MFA #WDATP #AIP #ATA
Check out the new Console Connections node! That's a lot of #ConfigMgr console versions connecting to our site right there!
New Blog Post: Detect Strings in Text Files using Powershell Detection Methods in SCCM: https://t.co/IZNk0Q8tOi #ConfigMgr #SCCM