If you are working with MDT, you are most likely creating new task sequences every now and then. When doing this, you might either create a new task sequence from scratch or maybe you are copying another task sequence.
I have run in to numerous issues with copying task sequences in MDT, so what I do is that I create a template instead, that has all the basic steps that I want there.
Creating a template in MDT is very simple:
1. Create a task sequence that you will use as a template.
2. Browse to your deployment share and locate the Control folder.
3. In the Control folder there should be a subfolder with the name of the task sequence
4. In The subfolder, there should be a file called ts.xml, which is the task sequence
5. Copy the ts.xml and rename it to ts_template.xml or similar:
6. Go to the installation folder for MDT, typically C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and go to the folder called “Templates”.
7. Paste the ts_template.xml here:
8. Open up the ts_template.xml in notepad and edit the top row, with a suitable name and description for your task sequence template:
9. Open Deployment Workbench, and create a new Task Sequence:
10. Give your new Task Sequence a name:
11. Select your newly created Task Sequence template 🙂