INTRODUCTION

I’ve run in to this issue every time when setting up DaRT 8.1 on Windows Server 2012 RTM, and therefore assume that this is a common problem. Please drop a comment if you know why this occurs and if I am doing it wrong in any way 🙂

DaRT 8.1 is intended to run on Windows Server 2012 R2, but installs fine on Windows Server 2012 RTM. This is as long as you run the setup file as an administra install: 

msiexec /a MSDaRT81.msi 

Refer to Johan Arwidmark’s great blog post about setting up DaRT 8.1 together with MDT monitoring: http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/131/Adding-DaRT-8-1-from-MDOP-2013-R2-to-ConfigMgr-2012-R2.aspx .

The issue I ran in to was when running DaRT Remote Control on the client from MDT Monitoring:

MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it.”

Untitled picture5

After pressing “OK”, I saw these two error messages:

“Object reference not set to an instance of an object.”

Untitled picture

This snap-in performed a non-valid operation and has been unloaded. To continue working with this snap-in, restart MMC or try loading the snap-in again.

Exception Type: System.NullReferenceException

Exception Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at. Microsoft.BDD.Workbench.MonitoringGeneral.buttonDaRT_Click(Object sender,EventArgs e)

Issue when running DaRT Remote Control MDT monitoring

In order to troubleshoot this behavior, I opened Process Monitor to see what actually happened when I pressed the “DaRT Remote Control” button. Download Process Monitor  from here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

I could see that DaRT (mmc.exe) was trying to access a registry key: “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DaRT”

Untitled picture3

Looking in the registry, I could see that there was no key with this name there.

SOLUTION

The solution was to create a string value called “InstallPath” which pointed to the installation path of DaRT.

The string value should be in HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DaRT\v8.1

Untitled picture4

After making the registry change, I just started a new DaRT Remote Control session and it worked perfectly 🙂